TiVo Releases Three New DVRs for Cable and Digital Antenna
Today, TiVo released three new DVRs, the “TiVo Roamio™,” “TiVo Roamio Plus,” and “TiVo Roamio Pro.” Two of these units (the Plus and Pro) can record a whopping six shows simultaneously and have built-in Wifi, built-in TiVo Stream and built-in MoCA. All three units include an RF and IR remote, another TiVo first.
WeaKnees will have a limited supply of all three TiVo Roamio units in stock later this week. Capacity upgrades are coming soon too. Check the blog for further details.
We have posted a TiVo Roamio comparison chart so that you can easily see the differences among the units, but in a nutshell, here they are:
TiVo Roamio: $199.99. Four tuners. 500GB Hard Drive. Record up to 75 HD Hours. The Roamio can record from ONE input source, either cable, FiOS or off-air antenna. This is the only unit of the three Roamio units that can record from an off-air digital antenna, and it cannot record from BOTH cable and off-air. The Roamio must be connected to the Internet to function and it has built-in Wifi and an Ethernet jack for a direct connection to your router. Alternatively, with an optional MoCA bridge, the Roamio can get Internet access through your coax cable. Like the other Roamio units, this one comes with a remote control that is both RF and IR, so it can send TiVo commands to your TiVo through walls.
TiVo Roamio Plus: $399.99. Six tuners. 1TB Hard Drive. Record up to 150 HD Hours. Unlike the Roamio, the Roamio Plus can record only from cable or FiOS. It has no off-air input. However, the Roamio Plus has a TiVo Stream built into it, so you can stream and transfer content to an iOS device without the need for a separate TiVo Stream. The Plus also has built-in Wifi and built-in MoCA. The Plus comes with an RF/IR remote, and unlike the Roamio, the Plus has a “Remote Finder.” If you misplace your TiVo remote, just press a button on the Roamio Plus’ front panel and the remote will emit a signal to help you locate it. (If the dog starts beeping, we’ll have replacements soon!)
TiVo Roamio Pro: $599.99. Six tuners. 3TB Hard Drive. Record up to 450 HD Hours. The Roamio Pro is a Roamio Plus with a larger hard drive (triple the size).
Among other features, Roamio units have these features:
- Search entire cable lineup plus streaming apps in a single search—plus on-demand libraries, when available.
- Create customized searches that match your interests by actor, subject or favorite team.
- Set up single-show recordings, or automatically record every episode all season long
- When you can record four or six shows at once, nobody in the house has to miss their favorite shows—even on TV’s busiest nights.
- Share the TiVo experience with other TVs in the house when you connect a TiVo® Mini*. Share and schedule recordings, use apps, or watch TV using the same, award-winning TiVo interface and TiVo peanut remote!
- Remotely manage, browse and schedule recordings anywhere around the house, or while you’re out, with the free TiVo app for tablets and smartphones.
- Stream TV or recorded shows on up to four iOS devices at once over your home network. Or download shows and watch them anywhere. **
- Remote streaming is coming soon. Stream your TV or recorded shows on your iPad or iPhone anywhere in the world you’re connected to WiFi.***
* TiVo Mini service required and sold separately.
** 4-tuner Roamio requires a TiVo Stream (sold separately) to enable streaming and downloading to mobile devices. Not all shows are transferrable due to copyright protections.
*** Coming soon: Out-of-home streaming: TiVo Roamio Plus/Pro will support streaming to one iOS device outside the user’s home network.
As always weaKnees is happy to answer any questions that you might have about any of these DVRs, and we’ll be launching capacity upgrades for all of the units shortly. Stay tuned!